Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Moody Institute Missions Conference - October 13-16, 2009

Several of us attended the opening night of the Missions Conference. It was a wonderful experience to see the "Flag of Nations" processional with the people from each country represented carrying their country's flag. There were 42 nations represented. Praise and Worship were also God inspiring as we sung songs reflective of God's Heart for Nations! The one song that really touched my heart was People Need The Lord!

The opening speaker was Dr. Jerry Root, an Assistant Professor of Evangelism and Leadership, and the Director of the Evangelism Initiative at Wheaton College, as well as Associate Director of the Billy Graham Center's Institute of Strategic Evangelism. He has been teaching at Wheaton College since 1996. Pastoring three different churches over a span of 23 years, he has worked for 19 years in student ministry and for four as senior pastor. His preaching and lecturing have taken him to 14 countries and 19 states in the US.

His message was "Make Missions Personal" from Philemon 6. The overall gist of the message was for each of us to be confident in the love of God to be his witness and to let that love flow out of us. And, the place to start is right where we live and move and have our being.

There were several agencies with exhibits denoting various opportunities to go on the international as well as domestic missions field.  We spoke to several of them about their experiences.  Note:  Other members of the IM Team are planning to attend either during the day or during the evening session for the balance of the conference.

1 comment:

  1. I am not in the photo, however I was there. I was the driver. We had a wonderful time going and returning from the mission conference. Since parking is a premium at Moody, I had to let them out at the door and then go and park. Torrey Hall was packed so Amiri and I had to go to the uttermost level to find a seat. It was worth the climb . As I entered the balcony I was met with worship and praise. The music was delightful.

    The speaker from Wheaton College delivered a timely message. "Making the Mission Personnal"


    I picked up several points from the message. The duplication of oneself in bringing people to Christ was resurected in my spirit. It reminded me of my many days of teaching and receiving in bible camps during my springs and summers. The message of discipleship was highlighted as well. Once you bring people to Christ how do you muture them in Christ.


    I thought about our 20,000 seeds at Victory. If each members or visitor could make five encounters we could make and exceed our goal in weeks. By year end we should have hundred of thousands encounters.

    While waiting in the commons for Sheena and the group, I met three students from Moody. one Uganda ,one from Chad and one from Phillipines. I had the opportunity to sat with each of them separately and chat 10 minutes or so. I told them about Victory and invited them out to our worship service.

    There was a tremendous amount of information available for those seeking to expand their knowledge in the mission field. There more I thought about International Missions at Victory the more excited I became. I believe we are off to a go start and there are all kinds of possibilities for bringing people to the Kingdom of God.

    ReplyDelete